Monday, August 12, 2013

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes

We tried creating a recipe recently. I love buttermilk pancakes, but I also like to use more whole wheat than white flour. I thought perhaps we could come up with something yummy by combining the two. Here's the recipe I came up with. We really liked them a lot!

Sometimes whole wheat pancakes are grainy, so it depends on the flour you use. I've been using the Prairie Gold Whole Wheat Flour, and I really like it. It's ground super fine, so it not too heavy, but still gives that nice, hearty whole wheat taste. I purchase mine at Walmart or Hyvee most often, but I'm sure it's pretty widely available. But anyway, here's the recipe.


WHOLE WHEAT BUTTERMILK PANCAKES

Makes about 6 smaller pancakes (which are pretty filling. Fed my husband, me, and our always-hungry toddler perfectly)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 cup white sugar
pinch of salt
1 large egg
3/4 cup buttermilk (often I don't have buttermilk, so I make it. For 3/4 cup, use about 2/3 cup milk, and make up the difference with some apple cider vinegar. Measurements don't have to be terribly exact).

Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat (it  really just depends on what you're using. I usually use my cast iron skillet on a gas stove, which needs to be low-medium heat. You might have to experiment a little if you haven't done pancakes before). Once hot, spray or butter the pan/griddle so the cakes won't stick.

Whisk the dry ingredients together. Add the egg and the buttermilk and mix in thoroughly until you have a nice batter. It shouldn't be too thick (like cake batter). It should be about the consistency of pudding, more or less. You can add more buttermilk if you like your pancakes a little thinner, too. These were nice and fluffy. This is what my batter looked like:



Using a deep spoon or a measuring cup, make a little circle of batter in the middle of your pan (or several on a griddle). I think I did mine about 1/3 cup, more or less, but that's completely up to you.

Cook the cake until the sides look golden and the middle is bubbly, about 2 minutes.



 Use a spatula and flip the cake over, and cook the other side for about a minute more. If the other side is golden like the top, it's probably just right. Continue doing this until all the cakes are cooked (or you can probably store the rest of the batter in the fridge for a couple of days. It will probably need to be covered well, and stirred well when you go to use it again).

Finally, use some butter and pure maple syrup (or whatever you love on your pancakes), and ENJOY!



No comments:

Post a Comment