Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sweet Potato Chili

Fall is, or was, in the air. August is teasing me, I think. I've been about ready to pull out scarves and sweaters several times now. You know, that pleasant nip on your nose as you walk out the door? Cool breezes blowing leaves around? I felt it, I really did! Since fall is my favorite season, I get a little excited when I think it's about that time again. But this week has told me to calm down. Soon, it will be here soon, but not yet. August wants one more chance to be summery and hot and muggy. Then fall can come. I'll try and be patient just a little longer.

In preparation for fall, though (cause you gotta be prepared!), I pulled out one of my all-time favorite chili recipes. It's sweet, but has a little spicy kick. The combination is just fabulous. The perfect thing for a late-summer-acting-like-fall day.

I was happy to find a couple of sweet potatoes at the farmer's market this weekend that were almost the size of footballs. Huge. And delicious. This recipe calls for 2 medium sweet potatoes, but I only needed one of these monsters. Regrettably, I forgot to take pictures. In fact, I only have a couple for this post, but all you really want is the recipe anyway, right? So . . . on to chili . . .

Sweet Potato Chili


Ingredients: 
2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
2 pounds ground beef, turkey, venison, etc,. 
1 28ish ounce jar of original spaghetti sauce
2 -3 tomatoes diced or 1 can diced tomatoes
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 can black beans
1 can red kidney beans
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar 
1/4 cup ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons red chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 
Brown ground meat in a large pot (I used my cast iron dutch oven, which works very nicely for chili, but I think any large pot should work fine). When meat is almost all the way cooked, add the brown sugar (gives the meat a nice flavor), onions and sweet potatoes. Cook covered for about 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Add in the spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, beans, and cider vinegar, and mix well. Let that cook a couple of minutes. 

Mix together the chili powders, the cayenne, and the salt and pepper (probably about a tablespoon of each, and then you may add more when you taste test). Add the mixture to the chili and stir in thoroughly. 

The last step is my favorite. Taste test! Add more sweet, more spice, more salt, or whatever you think the chili needs. The dominant traits should be sweet first, with a kick of spice in the aftertaste. Then get a nice big bowl, maybe some cornbread, and enjoy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment