Thursday, August 8, 2013

DIY Farmhouse Coat Rack

So my hubby and I have been working on a project the last week or so. I've been wanting to make a coat rack for our front porch. Something rustic and "farmhousey", but sturdy with lots of room for coats and hats. I had seen pictures on Pinterest of "peg" coat racks, and I really liked the look.

The design we came up with was so easy, and cost us under $3.50 to make. Here's a picture of the finished rack. Neat, huh?



The materials we used were:

1 sturdy pallet board
a wooden dowel about 1 inch in diameter (I think we used pine, but it wouldn't matter much)
2 cups day old (or older, just basically leftover) coffee
2 cups white vinegar
1 steel wool pad
wood glue
wood screws
a drill
a 1 inch paddle bit

We started with cutting the dowel. (I didn't know I was going to do a tutorial until last minute, so sorry, lots of skipped pictures . . . ) Josh cut 6 pegs about 3 inches long, and then cut one end of each diagonally so that they would angle upwards.

I then took them and soaked them overnight in the coffee and vinegar with the steel wool floating in it. I got this idea from this blog, where they brushed the mixture onto the wood. I wanted a really dark stain, since my pallet board was dark, and I wanted the dowel pieces to look a little more aged, so I soaked them. You could totally skip this process, though, and paint or stain a different way. Tons of options there. They really turned out great!



After soaking all night, I placed the dowels on paper towels and let them dry out for the day.

Once they were ready I placed them on the board where I wanted them and traced around them with a pencil.



Josh took the board to the garage and used the paddle bit to make a little indention for each dowel to sit in. Then a dot of glue in each, and he put a screw into the back of each through the board.

And that was about it! He hung it up for me on the porch, and I just love it! Rustic, sturdy, "farmhousey", plenty of room, all of that! I can't wait for colder weather so we can actually use it a bit more. For now it will have to be content holding Josh's ball caps. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment